Casual Youth Support Worker
- Casual, On-Call
Interior Community Services is looking to hire casual support workers for our Youth Living residential programs and our Youth Shelter. Successful candidates will have a strong demonstrated ability to build trusting relationships with youth, have appropriate professional boundaries and a strong ability to respond to a variety of challenging situations and behaviors with appropriate interventions. Flexible availability is required and an ability to work 24 hour shifts is an asset.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma in Human/Social Service or related field and related experience supporting at risk youth
- Current Emergency First Aid (Community Care) is required
- CPI (Non Violent Crisis Intervention), Safe Talk (Suicide Intervention) and Safe Food Handling will be provided in house.
- Must have valid Class 5 Driver’s license, own reliable vehicle, safe driving abstract and ability to obtain Business Use / 3 million liability insurance (portion will be reimbursed).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to interact effectively and support youth with challenging behaviours
- Strong experience providing support, life skills development, interventions and guidance to youth
- Strong ability to recognize, assess and deal effectively with aggressive and / or physically assaultive behaviour and crisis situations
- Strong ability to run and maintaining a home- shopping, cleaning, cooking, yard work, budgeting, and meal planning/prepping
- Strong ability to uphold policies and procedures and ensure behavioural plans are carried out.
- Strong demonstrated ability to develop healthy relationships and boundaries with youth
- Ability to be physically active each day- biking, swimming, walking, skateboarding, hiking etc as outlined in the youth’s treatment plan
- Ability to work co-operatively and effectively with co-workers, supervisor and other professionals
- Strong ability to problem solve and make ethical decisions
- Successful candidates must be able to provide satisfactory supervisory references and satisfactory Criminal Record checks (both RCMP and BC Ministry of Justice).
- Candidates must provide proof they are free from TB.
- This is a casual, on call position. Casuals must be available to work a minimum of 12 full days per month (4 weekdays, 4 weekends and 4 days of choice). Preference may be given to those with availability to pick up 24 hour shifts.
- The Kamloops Youth Shelter and one Youth Living program shifts are scheduled as three 8 hour shifts per day (7am – 3 pm, 3pm – 11 pm and 11 pm – 7 am)
- 1 program has 24 hour live-in shifts paid at $350/per shift.
- The Youth Shelter payrate starts at $20.55/hr ($19.39/hr overnight) and Youth Living residence payrate starts at $19.39/hr.
Submit resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position will remain open until filled.
We thank everyone who has applied, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.