Casual Youth Support Worker
Interior Community Services is looking to hire casual youth support workers for our Youth Living Residential programs supporting, youth with special needs, at-risk youth, and youth impacted by trauma.
Successful candidates will have a strong demonstrated ability to work with youth with challenging behaviors, to build trusting relationships, provide a consistent and scheduled home environment, engage youth in appropriate activities and respond appropriately to prevent and respond to a variety of situations.
Flexible availability is required to pick up a variety of shifts.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma in Human/Social Service or related field and related experience supporting youth with special needs or challenging behaviours. Or a combination of education, training and experience.
- Current Emergency (Community Care) First Aid with CPR is required
- CPI (Non Violent Crisis Intervention), Suicide Awareness (safeTALK), Medication Management, Naloxone and Safe Food Handling training will be provided
- Must have valid Class 5 Driver’s license and safe driver's abstract.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to interact effectively and support youth with challenging behaviours and special needs, including supporting youth with cognitive and global developmental delays with limited communication
- Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately to frustrations in communication that increase challenging behaviors.
- Ability to encourage and implement use of communication tools to enhance communication
- Strong ability to recognize triggers and proactively manage situations to minimize challenging behaviours, physically assaultive behaviours and/or damage to property.
- Strong ability to work within the Behavioural Support and Safety Plan for each individual.
- Strong ability to engage with the youth in appropriate activities, and encourage their involvement in activities, sports and outings based on interests.
- Strong ability to problem solve issues as they arise and make sound decisions based on the best interest of the youth.
- Ability to run and maintain a home- shopping, cleaning, cooking, yard work, budgeting, and meal planning/prepping
- Strong ability to follow program and agency policies and procedures.
- Strong demonstrated ability to develop healthy relationships and boundaries with youth, staff, parents/guardians and stakeholders.
- Strong documentation, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with co-workers, supervisor and other community professionals
- Ability to continually monitor the health and safety of the program and environments to ensure safety.
- Ability to perform personal care as required.
- Successful candidates must be able to provide satisfactory supervisory references and satisfactory Criminal Record checks (Consolidated Criminal Record and Prior Contact Check through MCFD and the Vulnerable sector check through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General).
- Candidates must provide proof they are free from TB.
- This is a casual, on call position.Casuals must be available to work a minimum of 12 full calendar days per month (4 weekdays, 4 weekend days and 4 days of your choice).
- Pay starts at $20.78 or $22.02 per hour.
- Lots of internal opportunities to move into temporary or permanent positions.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org