Child and Youth Care Worker
- Temp Part-time
Interior Community Services is looking to fill a temporary part-time Child and Youth Care Worker position until June 30th, 2019.
This position works within a home environment to develop and maintain a safe, respectful, learning environment for a young female with high needs. The care worker will build strong relationships with the child/youth in order to support them in growth and personal development and will respond effectively to a variety of challenging situations and behaviors with appropriate interventions. Responsibilities include building daily life skills, supporting emotional and physical well being, providing ongoing communication and support to parents, family members, community professionals, Social Workers, etc., meal preparation, maintaining the home (housekeeping and yard work), attending case management meetings, completing required documentation, participation in client focused activities and following program policies and protocols.
REQUIRED EDUCATION,TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma in Human/Social Service or related education and experience working with a care team to support high needs individuals. Or a combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license and safe driving record
- Emergency First Aid with CPR, CPI,safeTALK, Nalaxone, Safe Food Handling and Medication Management training is required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to build healthy, trusting relationships with all stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and support children/youth who have experienced trauma
- Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately to challenging behaviours, crisis situations and aggression
- Solid knowledge and application of attachment theory and cognitive behavioural theory
- Strong experience providing life skills support and development, interventions and guidance to youth
- Knowledge and ability to develop and implement client focused schedules, planning, and goal setting
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a strong contributing member of a team
- Ability to follow direction and implement strong critical and analytical thinking in the work applying appropriate policies and procedures
- Strong ability to take initiative to see what needs to be done in the program and follow through
- Strong interpersonal, conflict management, communication and documentation skills
- Ability to run and maintain a home- shopping, cleaning, yard work, cooking, budgeting and meal planning.
- Knowledge and ability to provide and cook healthy nutrition meals
- Ability to assess personal safety of staff and client(s) and respond appropriately
- Demonstrated ability to ensure health and safety
- Ability to provide medication administration as per ICS policy and procedures
- Ability to be physically active and involved in supporting the child/youth in various client focused activities- biking, swimming, walking, hiking etc.
- Ability to work co-operatively and effectively with all stakeholders
HOURS OF WORK:
16 hours per week, Saturday and Sunday 3:30 pm - 11:30 pm
Pay starts at $19.73 per hour as per the collective agreement.
Successful applicants must provide satisfactory supervisory references and criminal record checks (Both Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General and Ministry of Children and Family Development Consolidated Criminal Record Check/Prior Contact Check).
This position requires Female Only workers as a bona fide occupational requirement for supporting this young female.
Please submit resume and cover letter by March 4th to firstname.lastname@example.org