YOUTH MENTORS WANTED
Do you think you would be a supportive and positive mentor for Youth?
Do you have space in your home to support a youth?
The Kamloops Residential Youth Mentorship Program matches youth with a short term residential experience in the home of an adult mentor in order to build skills and move successfully into living independently.
As a Mentor you will have the opportunity to:
- Positively influence and enhance the life of a young person
- Learn from and about the challenges that youth face today
- Share some of your life and life experience with a youth
- Have someone share living expenses
- Give back to your community
- Have unique experiences with dynamic young people
- Build lasting relationships
- Learn new skills and challenge yourself to take on a positive role in a youth’s life
Goal of the Residential Youth Mentorship Program:
To provide youth with a short-term (12 months) residential experience under the guidance of an adult mentor, along with outside training and support services, that can enable youth to build skills and transition successfully into independence.
Mentors will be responsible to:
- Support youth between 16-18 years of age who recognize their need to learn various life skills in order to live successfully on their own
- Participate in the co-creation of a customized goal plan with the youth and their care team (Social Worker, family, community professionals)
- Assist youth with implementing and adhering to their goals and support changes where necessary to bring about success
- Meet every 4-6 weeks with staff and other mentors
- Provide a safe living environment for youth in their home
- Follow emergency and safety protocols when necessary
- Obtain clear Criminal Record Checks and Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) Prior Contact Checks
Mentors receive a rent subsidy and honorarium.
If you feel like this may be a fit for you, please forward an expression of interest document to: email@example.com with the subject line RYMP detailing your experience and why you think you are a good fit.
For more information please contact Amy at 250-319-5209