Adult Living Support Worker
- Permanent Part-time
Interior Community Services is looking to fill the permanent part-time position of Adult Living Support Worker in Kamloops, BC. This is an overnight awake position within a home setting for adults with moderate to severe behavioral and developmental challenges.
The Adult Living Support Worker must be able to respond effectively to clients’ needs and behaviors, carry out the behavioral plan, administer mediations, builds on strengths of the individuals and support them in daily living. This position is also responsible for household tasks which may include shopping, cooking, cleaning and general maintenance of the home and yard.
REQUIRED EDUCATION,TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma in related Human/Social Service field and two years related experience working with adults with moderate to severe behavioural and developmental challenges. Or equivalent education, training and experience.
- Valid Class V driver’s license and safe driving record (abstract)
- Current certifications in Emergency First Aid is required
- TB test showing free from TB
- Safe Food Handling, Medication Management, Naloxone, CPI and Safe Talk training will be provided
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to interact effectively and support individuals with moderate to several behavioural and developmental challenges including individuals with Autism.
- Strong experience providing life skills support and development in the home and community
- Ability to provide appropriate behaviour management intervention by following behavioural/care plans of the individuals
- Ability to provide emotional support by teaching coping techniques and adaptive behaviour to clients.
- Strong ability to recognize, analyze and deal effectively with aggressive behaviours and crisis situations using appropriate interventions, including CPI
- Ability to effectively liaise and communicates between client and their care
- Ability to advocate for the best interests of the individuals
- Ability to support clients in gaining independence.
- Ability to follow health and safety protocols and procedures
- Knowledge and skill in connecting individuals with appropriate community resources
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a strong member of a team
- Good communication, documentation, interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Ability to work co-operatively and effectively with other professionals, co-workers and supervisors
OTHER:This position works a 4 on, 4 off 12 am – 8 am shift (awake). Pay starts at $18.66/hr as per our collective agreement. Successful applicants must be able to provide satisfactory supervisory references and criminal record checks (both RCMP and Ministry of Justice).
This position qualifies for group benefits after the probationary period.
Please submit resume with cover letter by February 12th, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org